Monday, June 18, 2007

Lviv, UKRAINE

An 8-hour overnight train dropped me off in the town of Lviv (Lvov) in the far west of the Ukraine.

Narrow medieval streets paved with stones (some very uneven!), architectural decoration done in different styles – all preserved in its original form. Being part of the Austra-Hungarian Empire, then Poland and most recently the USSR, all contributed to the formation of the city’s unique development. In spite of all the ups and downs in history (more downs than ups), the city has not lost its true Ukrainian spirit, and it’s delicate architecture has not suffered from the monstrosities of the Soviet era. The central part of the city is included in the UNESCO list of World Heritage. The Russian (read: communist) influence of the past is totally visible - mostly in the nature of the older generation of people.

Went outside town to the smaller villages and farming communities....so pleasant indeed.

I am splurging and staying in a old historical hotel...the room (excluding the bathroom) is half the size of my entire apartment in Hong Kong...and the ceilings twice the height...the walls are three times as thick...I even have to pass through two sets of huge double-doors (I guess to shut out any noise). The balcony stately overlooks the cobble stone path down below...and best of all....I even have my own piano! I guess this suite used to be enjoyed by the old Russian Comrades, KGB spies, and other people high up in the USSR ranks. Lovely ol' Lviv!

If you haven't noticed....I am raving over the Ukraine! Kiev is a delight...and so is Lviv and surrounding places. Those who know, say that Lviv will be the next Krakow and Prague. You bet~! Get to Lviv before its too late!

Site Feed Top Travel Blogs Blog Directory & Search engine