Saturday, June 02, 2007

Budapest, HUNGARY

Budapest....got to be one of my favourite world-cities!

It scores high on most of my criteria...food is excellent, the wine is acceptable.....oh, Bikavér from the Eger area is awesome. Remember two years ago when I was traveling in this area I visited a couple of wineries with their cellars carved out in the hillside south the village of Eger....the "The Valley of the Nice Women" as it is referred to. I met up with the some wine-makers and tasted lots of wines...mostly for free. Bikavér (also referred to as "Bull's Blood of Eger") to me tastes very similar to Argentina's Malbec from the Mendoza area in northern Argentina. Anyhow....Budapest scores high on many of my criteria....though I know I missed the best years....10-15 years ago. By now too many tourists discovered this gem of a city.

Next (in a few days)....probably will slightly divert from my schedule and instead of going straight to Ukraine....I'll spend a few days in the Transylvania region of northern Romania....I do have a love affair with Romania! Never been to the Transylvania area so I look forward to it. Will be crossing the Carpathian mountains before getting into Moldova.

TONIGHT...SUNDAY...MY LAST NIGHT HERE
...and what a way to say farewell to Budapest...than to see Umberto Giordano's André Chénier at the famous Budapest Opera House (photo link to http://www.historicaltextarchive.com/). Andrea Chénier is an opera in four acts by Umberto Giordano to an Italian libretto by Luigi Illica, based on the life of the French poet André Chénier (1762-1794). Hmmm...I think André Chénier is now my favourite opera. When I was in Tirana, Albania, I saw Giuseppe Verdi's La traviata at the Albanian State Opera House...was excellent!!! Reminder...the inaugural concert here at the Budapest Opera House was back in 1884. Two years ago I saw Tchaikovsky's Overture in F major here....a 100-piece orchestra and later joined by a 100-member choir dressed in black....was amaaaaaazing!

Site Feed Top Travel Blogs Blog Directory & Search engine