Monday, May 28, 2007

Zagreb, CROATIA

I'm in and around Zagreb, capital city of Croatia. Quite a pleasant city and interesting surroundings. Lots to see and do. However, not a lot to write about, so I guess.....I'll just move on tomorrow to another country. I have seen a lot of Croatia (particularly along the Adriatic coast), I ate some gooood Croatian food, fruits (especially cherries and strawberries), and drank great Croatian beers and wines.

Talking about cherries....its cherry season. Cherries everywhere and dirt cheap. In Belgrade I found a cherry tree in the zoo...and stuffed myself with free cherries ) and mulberries). On the train from Belgrade to Zagreb, I met a very nice Customs Officer who ordered the older man next to me to give me half his bag of cherries. The older man smiled and gave me half his cherries. The Customs Officer then invited himself and me to eat the rest of the man's cherries. I felt so guilty by now and asked the Customs guy if cherries are not allowed across the border - why are we eating all the cherries..."No problem with cherries across the border", he said. "We eat it because they are so good". The old man smiled again and joined in as we finished off the rest of his cherries.

Ok....I'm off to Slovenia...the last of the former Yugoslav provinces left to do. Adios!

Site Feed Top Travel Blogs Blog Directory & Search engine