Monday, June 04, 2007

Oradea, ROMANIA

I am back in Romania, one of my favourite countries! When I started my travels in Greece, more than two years ago, I went from Greece to Bulgaria and then through Romania...and when I left Romania into Hungary, I promised myself to be back ASAP. This time I am spending 6-7 days from eastern Transylvania (northern Romania) to the western Romanian province of Moldovia which is known for it spectacular mountains and its colourful painted monasteries.

I'm in the town called Oradeo...and its very colourful - colourful buildings and a few colourful Gypsies. However, Romania is not just Gypsies (in fact, they are only 2% of the population). One young Romanian man who speaks English very well (English is a rarity here), explained to me: "....The Gypsies are a shame to our country. Let me warn you...do not even speak to these people". Well...I have tried in the past and it wasnt easy to communicate with the Gypsies...and asking permission for a photo has always been declined.

The food is excellent...and the wine...well, better than 10 years ago!

After two days in Oradea...and I'll be off to Cluj-Napoca.

Site Feed Top Travel Blogs Blog Directory & Search engine