Saturday, June 11, 2005

Berlin, GERMANY

I didn't really care about visiting Berlin but I must say that I am very pleasantly surpized. Quite a nice city, with lots to see and do. Berlin zoo was quite disappointing as no signage is in English and I can't really see why this is called a world class zoo. I enjoyed the Columbo (Sri Lanka) zoo more than the Berlin zoo. Seeing the Brandenberg Gate and reading the stories about the history was very interesting and its hard not to shed a tear. At Check Point Charlie a lonely American soldier is collecting 1 Euro to take a picture by his side. I guess Bush long ago cut off his funding. The few left overs of the Berlin wall are surely interesting and I managed to get a little piece in my pocket. As a reminder of the brutal days of the German Police, they did manage to stop me at the cafe near where I'm staying and very rudely demanding my passport -- which I dont carry with me. After checking my details on their computer they let me go. Daytrip Potsdam is a real nice town with lots of history showing life of the noble men.

Site Feed Top Travel Blogs Blog Directory & Search engine