Friday, May 20, 2005

Bucharest, ROMANIA

So it was time to leave Bulgaria....Early morning I headed for the tiny train station of Veliko Tarnovo in northern Bulgaria and as expected, the woman at the ticket counter...staring from behind the little hole with little sliding window, kept talking in Bulgarian -- me talking English...and then said "moment...wait"...so I waited with no ticket in hand while the "Istanbul-to-Bucharest" train was scheduled to pull into the station in less than 30 minutes. Later she told me in Bulgarian, which I figured out to mean that I can't buy a direct ticket to Bucharest. Have to get to Ruse at the border and then jump off to buy another ticket to Bucharest (Romania). With my new made friends -- Grant (American), Mike (American) and Melis (Turkish American), we boarded the train. At Ruse I ran to the ticket office while locomotives were switched and not long after I returned, ticket in hand, we rolled off over the Danube River into former Communist country -- Romania.
I am very impressed with Bucharest to say the least. Most amazing old buildings, wide boulevards, green parks, and quite good food. Last night went to a very stylish restaurant located in what looks like an opera house dated 1888. Top class by Romanian standards and good service, food, and Romanian musicians. After a mixed grill, salad, bottle of wine...the cost was 20 Euro per person. Good deal and a very memorable experience.
Bulgaria was excellent. So far Romania is very promising. Both are jewels ready for exploring. I'd say skip Western Europe and discover the Balkan countries!
Old Communist mentality still prevails! This afternoon a military guard rudely refused me taking a picture of the old building which houses the "European Commission of Higher Education". Must be worried that I will sabotage higher education in Romania. Generally people are at first rude here in Romania, as they are in Bulgaria. The best to change it around, is to be very friendly, smile, talk with them, and you may be lucky to get a smile back -- very lucky. Must be the hangover from the Communist days which may take a generation to blow over. Still, I am having a fantastic time!
Tomorrow Mike, Melis and I are off north to Brasov and Bran in Transylvania to hike in the hills. Grant is staying for a another few days to study the art and then heads for Moldova and Odessa. After Brasov I'm heading for Budapest (Hungary) while Mike/Melis are going to Croatia (I think that's their latest plan).
Be good!

Site Feed Top Travel Blogs Blog Directory & Search engine