Saturday, February 25, 2006

Amazon Rainforest, ECUADOR

I returned yesterday from a 5-day excursion into the north western Amazon jungle of Ecuador. Indeed an exciting experience. I flew from Quito into the town of Coca....aptly named after the Coca plant, core ingredient of chocolates and the favoured hot milk drink. From Coca it was a 45 minute canoe ride on the Napo river, which flows into the mighty Amazon River.

Our daily excursions from the beautiful lodge in the jungle took us to nearby lakes, cloud forests, and smaller rivers where we found several birds and animals such as the Capybara, Pecari, Amazon Guinea Pigs, several species of monkeys (woolley monkey, spider monkey, pygmy monkey, and the Capuchino monkey)...and some ocelots in the cages nearby the lodge (all pictures used from other websites without permission but with thanks!).

Now in Quito and on Monday I am going south to the town of BaƱos to see the active volcano and will visit other villages on my way back to Quito. Back in Quito next Thursday and on Friday I am flying to Bogota, Colombia via Panama City.

Had my daypack slashed yesterday in a crowded bus in Quito but nothing got stolen (thanks to a double bottom bag)...luckily I noticed the suspicious woman and moved away. Got my bag fixed this morning.

Adios!

Site Feed Top Travel Blogs Blog Directory & Search engine