Monday, November 14, 2005

Prologue.....6 months, 23 countries, 15,146 pictures

As I reflect on the past six months, I really want to thank all of you who supported me with your emails and text messages. At times...many times, it was a daunting task for me, solo traveling, into the unknown. What more could I have wanted than to pop into an internet cafe and reading emails from friends and family. If it wasn't for your emails....this trip would have been a lot tougher. In particular, I must thank the following people:

1. My great supporting friend, Tsui Chi Ho (Hong Kong), who managed my finances at home and who stayed in regular contact via email and phone to ensure I was still alive and kicking. Without him I could not have left home for 6 months!

2. Erica Kirkby (South Africa) who stayed in contact with me through regular supporting emails.

3. Daleen Steyn (South Africa) who constantly stayed in contact with me via SMS to ensure I was safe....as she said she was traveling along my side...at a far distance.

4. My mom and dad (South Africa) for their prayers.

5. The rest of my family and friends....who didn't write (and read my blog) as often as I hoped :(

6. Janet Joosten (Canada) for backing me up in South America...checking frequently on my blogs to make sure I'm alive and ready to call for help if no word from me for more than 5 days. Thanks also for preparing a soft bed and good food during my stay in Toronto...and for preparing my Hawaii itenerary.

7. All the wonderful people who provided private homestays for me in Eastern Europe and Russia. Thanks for trusting me in your homes. In particular, to Elizabeth in Stockholm, who left home just 1 hour after I arrived in her beautiful apartment and returning 3 days later.

8. Too many names to mention in South America....but I must mention Rene in Valparaiso (Chile), Fernando (Buenos Aires), Luis (Rio de Janeiro), Miki (Iguazu and Arraial d'Ajuda, Brazil)), and the friendly Colombian guy in Mexico City (I really forgot your name!). PLUS, too many other wonderful people who were incredibly wonderful to me!

9. My ex-colleagues (ACNielsen and Nielsen-Netratings) from around the world...most notebly Asia, UK, Scandinavia and New York. Friends from around the world, in particular in Hong Kong, Canada and South Africa. Thanks for your inspirational emails!

10. The staff at the hotels and hostels who guided travelers like me...I have to single out the staff in Montreal, Santiago, Buenos Aires, Salvador (Brazil), Mexico City, oh...and many others!

11. Michelle Lee, Farrington Amex Travel , Hong Kong, for taking care of all my travel arrangements from start to end.

12. My religious beliefs carried me a long way! I always tried to go to the furthest outcrop, the highest rocks, always to the off-the-beaten track. Often I saw only a single pair of tracks on the sand, and I knew I was been carried again. After more than 6 months of very daring experiences, I arrived back home in Hong Kong only with one black finger nail (when I fell off the waterfall in Palenque, Mexico). I praise God! My inspiration came from Dr. Schuller. Dare to read it, you'll be as happy as I am.

I'm not finished yet!! So be with me!

Site Feed Top Travel Blogs Blog Directory & Search engine