Monday, October 10, 2005

Rio de Janeiro (2nd time) - BRAZIL

Back in Rio for two nights. Spent Saturday night between 11pm and 3am at the famous Samba school called ¨Mangueira¨ in the Mangueira favela (suburb) to see their preparation for the upcoming Carnaval 2006. This is also a ¨build our club spirit¨ so the place was filled with singing, dancing, flags, balloons, confetti...and even fireworks. The 50-60 drum beating band on the calcony was spectacular and so were the dancers -- many in constumes and they made sure to show off as much of their bodies as is morally allowed! Outside the huge community hall, the crowds enjoying the Saturday night food stands and drinking, was something I have only seen in movies. I would never have come so deep inside the favela without my guide as the neighborhood is rough...very rough people! One guy in front of me pulled out his pistol but fortunately put it slowly back -- I guess he was only giving a warning to nearby gangsters. The place apparantly is closely managed by the drug lords. While I was dying to take pictures, I´m sure that one single snapshot would hae landed me in bandages. Indeed an interesting night.

Yesterday (Sunday) was another hot and sunny day on the beaches. I spent most of the day on Ipanema Beach, which I prefer over Copacabana. I did a lot of body surfing in the big waves. The last time I had such an enjoyable time in the waves was back in Margate, South Africa, December 1973!

Rio must be the most beautiful city in the world! The views from the Christ statue (Cristo Redendor), and from nearby Sugar Loaf, are just stunning -- and that´s an under-statement!

Today off to Ilha Grande, a tropical heaven about 3-4 hours by bus/boat from Rio.

Site Feed Top Travel Blogs Blog Directory & Search engine