Monday, September 12, 2005

Ushuaia, ARGENTINA -- Bottom of the World

I made it....I´m at the bottom of the world -- Ushuaia, Argentina, is the most southern town on our planet. Only a few weeks ago I was at the TOP of the World, Lofoten Islands, Norway (about 500km north of the Arctic Circle).....Now I am in Ushuaia, at the BOTTOM...at the very southern tip of South America. The distance between the Lofoten Islands, Norway, and Ushuaia, Argentina, is about 15,700km! What a beautiful little town surrounded by snowy mountains and the sea. From here it is only a hop, skip, and a jump....and you´re landing in Antactica. I am trying to get on a boat to Antactica and will hopefully know tomorrow if I can get on. I don´t have extremely high hopes. If I can´t get on....then in 2 days I´ll travel north along the Chile border through the snowy mountains and glaciers. Ushuaia is about 5,900 km south from where I was just a few days ago -- Bolivia.

UPDATED I went on a boat trip along the Beagle Channel and saw a breeding colony of Sea Lions, lots of Imperial Cormorants, Dolphin Gulls, Steamer Ducks, etc. Also walked the neaby National Park today which was really nice. I truly love Ushuaia!!...and I must come back to do Antarctica....explorer boats to Antactica only run from Nov to Feb.

Site Feed Top Travel Blogs Blog Directory & Search engine