Friday, September 16, 2005

El Calafate, ARGENTINA

I arrived by plane from Ushuaia this evening at the small town of El Calafate. This is THE place to see the world biggest and most impressive glaciers. Over the next 2-3 days I will be experiencing these glaciers in all possible ways...including a 5 hour Catamaran trip among the glaciers and ice bergs. After this I´m going by bus to El Chalten (about 5 hours trip) to visit Mount Fitzroy and 2 days later will return to El Calafate.

UPDATED SEP. 18TH
Well, yesterday I did the catamaran trip among 5 glaciers, including the huge Upsala Glacier. ...and thousands of big floating icebergs. Felt like I was in Antarctica! Today I spent the whole day around Perino Moreno Glacier, the world largest and most active glacier. Moving at two meters a day, yet not advancing one centimeter as huge chunks keep falling off into the water. This glacier is 60km long and 60 meters high above water and up to 202 meters below water. Its awesome to hear and see these huge chunks of ice breaking off and falling into the water. Sounds like thunder or a gun shot when chunks break off. An amazing experience indeed.

I changed plans (again) and will skip southern Chile and the town of El Chalten (for Mount Fitzroy)...so tomorrow I am taking a 25 hour bus ride across Argentina to the Valdez Peninsula to see the Southern Rightback Whales, possibly Orca Whales, Elephant Seals, Seals, Sea Lions, and Penguins.

Adios!

Site Feed Top Travel Blogs Blog Directory & Search engine