Saturday, April 21, 2007

JORDAN in Review

Its time again to move on to the next country. I spent a wonderful 10 days in Jordan and these are my thoughts:
1. Wadi Rum - has to be at the top of my list. This must be the world's most amazing desert-scape. Red sand dunes, crunchy scrubby big rocks bopping out of the desert, camels on the horizon - and right in front of you too, Bedouin tents and Bedouin food and - Bedouin people. Awesome desert.
2. Petra - Man made combined with nature's secret creations! Wow, Petra is awesome indeed. Administrators are campaigning hard to get it into the Seven Wonders of the World.
3. The Dead Sea - Bizarre, bizarre, bizarre. I loved every moment as I plopped around like a cork! Or maybe I felt like a rubber duck! Its safe. Bring granny and the kids.
4. Bedouin - These Arab nomadic pastoralist groups, aka desert dwellers, have little but their black sheep's-hair tents, their sheep and goats, and most of all, warm smiles and a hospitality hard to match! I spent quality time with them in their tents and cave homes outside the borders of Petra, taking many photos, and returned the next day with their gifts - their photographs. A day with the Bedouin (as I also experienced in Iran), is a day never to forget.
5. History - You don't have to be a historian to fall for the great historic sites of Jordan. From biblical times to the crusaders and Islamic conquerors. Take a spot, stare over the ruins (some very well preserved / restored) and just try to imagine life way back then. You'll get lost in your mind.
6. Amman - with its rolling hills covered in small, yellow gray multi level flat roof homes - a picture paints an amazing story.
7. Mosques - with all respect to our Muslim brothers and sisters - I am tired of waking up at 04:38 (and again 20 minutes later) every morning (anywhere I sleep around the Middle East) with the loud-out crying of your "call for prayers". Should be called a "Scream for the top spot" as its seems to me the mosques are competing on creative screaming and yodeling! A big beef for not allowing non-Muslims in many of your mosques! A bigger beef for those of you who treat us non-Muslims as scum, not worthy entering your den of salvation. I am done with even trying to enter another mosque in my life!! You can keep it.....with all due respect my friends.
----I am out of here. Off to Syria

Site Feed Top Travel Blogs Blog Directory & Search engine