Friday, April 06, 2007

Garmeh Oasis, IRAN

I just returned from two days at the Garmeh oasis, in the desert 400 km north of Yazd. I stayed in a 260 year old mud house owned by a Tehran based artist - an elderly and very interesting man and his wife. The two grumpy camels outside the front door serve as watch "dogs". Only 230 inhabitants in the oasis village. As usual, I climbed the highest peak of the nearby mountains around sunrise. The surrounding landscapes of desert and majestic mountains made the long trip very memorable. Visited a salt lake 80 km north of the oasis and saw tens of wild camels roaming the salt flats and surrounding desert plains. Two very exciting days!!

I'm off Shiraz now - the birthplace of Shiraz wine. But no wine here - or anywhere in Iran - as this country is ruled by strict Islamic Clergymen.

I just want to say again - The Iranians are probably the nicest people I have met anywhere during my travels, and Iran is one of the safest countries I have ever visited! Such a wonderful experience to be here.

The photo to the right is the salt lake north of Garmeh oasis. The two dots in the distance is that of two dead and decomposing camels. Nothing as smelly as a dead camel!

Site Feed Top Travel Blogs Blog Directory & Search engine