Monday, March 26, 2007

Tehran, IRAN

I am safely in Iran. The next 16 days is going to be amazing...I'm sure! I'll write more later. My mobile phone does not work here, so no more SMS's for a while.

UPDATED
After spending four days here, I am amazed with Tehran. Iran is NOT Afghanistan, neither is it Iraq - its a whole different world. Tehran makes me rather think of an Eastern European city -certainly not an Arab city, as its NOT an Arab city.

People are very attractive, fashionable, friendly and helpful. Tehran is quite developed and a city worth exploring. Certainly not a world class city, but has enough to offer for two or three days. I went to a couple of museums including the carpet museum - what an experience. No better place than Iran to see the world's best and most famous Persian carpets.

The former USA Embassy is referred to as the "US den of spying" and the high walls surrounding the compound is spray painted with graffiti - including that of the Statue of Liberty with a skull as head, and slogans such as "We will make America face a severe death - Imam Komeini" and "America the Great Satan". People are always curious where you're from and if I was an American, I would certainly not feel safe in Iran. However, the Iranians apparently hate the Israelis and Arabs more than the Americans. President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is not popular here - so please don't judge the Iranian people by their president's arrogance.

I'm not a shopper at all, but I did get carried away today with the beautiful fashionable and cheap leather shoes.

Its tough taking pictures here as many buildings are off-limits for photography. However, my recent experience in New York is that photography of buildings is much less restricted in Tehran. I must admit that the guards and soldiers here in Iran are a lot friendlier than those who recently recently restricted my photography in New York. I have only praises for the people of all walks of life I have met so far in Tehran. Very warm hearted people, clean city, and must be one of the safest cities I have ever walked.

By the way - there's lots of snow on the nearby mountains and its quite cool and rainy in town.

And NO...I have not yet met with the captured British soldiers - but I think I know where they are kept....but don't ask me!

Tomorrow I'm taking the train down to Esfahan (a 7-hour trip). I'll be shown around Esfahan by an 18 year old woman I recently met on an Internet travel forum. I'm sure Esfahan is going to be an interesting experience.

Site Feed Top Travel Blogs Blog Directory & Search engine