Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Granada, NICARAGUA

Granada.....another beautiful old colonial town where just wandering through the streets is a real treat for me. Spent the past 5 nights here in this little town on the north shores of the mighty Lake Nicaragua. From here I have a view of Volcano Conception, on Ometepe Island (in the lake) which I succesfully climbed a few days ago. Every time I lay my eyes on this cone shaped volcano, I still canĀ“t believe that I climbed all the way to the top. From a distance, the summit of the volcano looks real high....and it sure is!!!

Did a few trips around the area. Volcano Masaya, another active volcano north of Granada was worth seeing. The chicken bus ride towards the volcano and the 12km roundtrip hike was eventful. The little village of Masaya, which was almost destroyed in recent earthquakes, is still standing proudly serving as a major market destination for the locals from as far as Granada and Managua. A lazy Sunday along the crystal clear waters of crater filled Lake Apoyo....is just what I needed to conclude my visit to southern Nicaragua. This morning I am off to capital city, Managua, and from there further north into El Salvador.

Site Feed Top Travel Blogs Blog Directory & Search engine