Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Cahuita, COSTA RICA

NOTE: today is Wednesday, and not Thursday as inndicated above!
SEE UPDATE BELOW IN RED

The reggae sounds of Bob Marley blaring from most bars and shops and the constant howling of Howler Monkeys unmistakably is Cahuita (pronounced: Cawheeta) here on the south Caribbean coast of Costa Rica. Cahuita, the most rustic town I have ever experienced, is the Rastafarian head quarters of the Americas where Bob Marley is king, all other reggae music is queen, and dreadlocks and pot are all over town. Now I did not come here for any of the above, but to find the evasive two-toed sloth and to eat good African-Caribbean food. While I indulge enough on the good cuisine and fruits, it was only on my second day that I spotted my first two-toed sloth. The day ended after laying my eyes on several of these amazing animals. While some call them ¨useless monkeys¨, this awesome animal is no monkey and is obviously not interested in any monkey business. As they so ever slowly crawl around the three-tops upside-down, I stare with amazement that these creatures don´t fall to the ground. I guess its their smart two-toes with those extra long nails which keep them safely among the leaves.

Yesterday I did a sever hour hike (mostly in the rain), through the nearby Cahuita National Park which must be the most green and lush tropical rain forest I have ever seen.

Just a few days ago I had close encounters with Tapirs in their natural habitat (in Corcovado National Park on the Pacific Ocean of Costa Rica) -- and now the Sloths. How good can life get!?

The plan is to travel tomorrow further south along the coast and visit a refuge and more villages and jungle towards the Panama border, before returning to capital city San Jose either on Friday or Saturday night. From there its up north to conquer the active volcanoes of Poas and Arenal, and then into Nicaragua.

UPDATED A FEW HOURS LATER
Even though its now towards the end of the dry season, its been raining almost non-stop since I arrived here on the Caribbean coast. Late this evening as I walked home in the rain after dinner (I am staying in a chalet right on the beach about 2km east of the village) , I saw something moving in the dirt road (filled with potholes and rain water). At first I thought it was a cat or dog but as it was moving so slow I got closer and discovered an adult two-toed sloth crossing the road! In the light of the nearby streetlamp I could get a good look at this woolley creature. I truly enjoyed my close encounter with this magnificant animal and stroke its head, touched its two-toed long and sharp claws...and could not resist but to carefully pick it up to feel its weight (don´t ever do this as these are wild animals... :) ....I just had to do it! THIS, to me, was a magic moment to say the least.

Site Feed Top Travel Blogs Blog Directory & Search engine