Friday, August 05, 2005

Santiago, CHILE

I arrived safely in Santiago, Chile, at 11:30 this morning -- 60 minutes late due to baggage loading problems in Toronto. Smooth flight all the way and cloudless skies as the plane approached the northern tip of the South American continent. Very rugged mountains in Colombia and Ecuador. As we approached Santiago, the snowy Andes Mountains were spectacular -- to say the least. It is mid winter here in Chile with lots of snow on the Andes. No snow in Santiago but a cool 9 Celsius this morning and 12 degrees by 3pm. A lovely city with lots of pedestrian walks and street entertainers. Safe city as I was assured by locals not to worry about crime -- day or night.

So unlike me --- I left my South America Lonely Planet Guide on the plane and had to replace it at USD64...twice what I paid in Toronto -- ouch!! So unnecessary.

UPDATED AUGUST 7
Its cool, very cool in Santiago especially when the breeze blows from the snowy mountains. Wow...and the towering Andes mountains are really spectacular. Skiing is apparently very good but Im not on a skiing vacation...so I am heading for the west coast in an hour...to the town of Valparaiso and later north to Vina Del Mer. Will stay there for 4 nights before returning to Santiago for 1 night and then up to Peru on Friday Aug 12th.
Night life in Santiago is surprisingly good. Lots of outsides cafe packed with wine and beer drinkers..even though the evening are a chilly 10 celsius. Also lots of street entertainders...especially clowns. Went to a local disco last night (Saturday) packed with a young trendy...very trendy crown of Chileans. Dancing does not start until midnight and ends around 7am. I had a great time and felt 10 years younger! I went home at 12:30 am as I have a lot a exploring to do during the day. Wine is gooood and cheap. Seafood is wonderful too ...and cheap too.

Till later...Adios Amigo!

Site Feed Top Travel Blogs Blog Directory & Search engine