Friday, December 15, 2006

Sundarbans, Mongla, and Barisal - Southern BANGLADESH

The Rocket Steamer took me on an amazing 24-hour trip down the mesh of rivers from Dhaka to the small village of Mongla - gateway to the Sundarbans National Park...the world largest swamps and mangrove forest in the world. As our 3-night 4-day trip was canceled due to the political turmoil, my guide and I rented our own boat but was not allowed to stay over in the park. In fact, at the park entrance we were refused entry due to "extreme terrorist activity". Fortunately my guide doesn't take "no" as an answer, and after a long and heavy argument in Bengali, we were allowed in with an armed guard. Didn't see a lot, as I expected - a heavy duty croc, a few bird species, monkeys, deer, and all but the elusive Royal Bengal Tiger. Saw several fairly fresh tiger tracks in the soft clay covered forest, and did a few walks inside the jungle - with the the guard complaining about the risk we're taking and keeping a safe distance behind me. Anyhow, got home safely.

I am now in the town of Barisal, a 12 hour boat trip north of Mongla, to visit the small village (Bamrail) of my guide's family. It was an amazing experience today (like in many other places I visited in Bangladesh), where people are totally amazed with seeing a White person. At times I think the entire village followed us. When we walked into a market, the market came to a standstill. Visited the local Mosque to take close-ups of praying men and afterwards everybody posed for pictures and offered us a great meal right next to the mosque...on the floor (eating out of banana leafs). Had several meals with local families who made a huge effort to offer us the best and most eloborate meals they could come up with. The hospitality and friendliness of people are like nowhere else. I am totally amazed with Bangladesh!!!

Tomorrow will spent the day on a boat along the canals and waterways to vist a few small villages and tomorrow night the 12-hour trip back to Dhaka.

Site Feed Top Travel Blogs Blog Directory & Search engine