Thursday, May 11, 2006

Acapulco, MEXICO...as I am celebrating 1 year on the road!!

Congrats to myself! Today exactly one year ago I started my traveling in Hong Kong and my first destination was northern Greece. Since then I have circled the world twice and have visited 34 countries! What an experience is has been. Before I return to Hong Kong in less than a month, I still have to visit a few places in Mexico, Alaska, Seattle, and maybe also Japan.

I want to truly thank all of those people who so frequently read my blog and write to me with comments and questions. I so much need your support on the road as this trip has not been your typical holiday -- its been a conquest and a mission to me. Many days I suffered under the heat, exhaustion, weight of my backpack, and felt lost without proper Spanish language skills. I have endured so much and while I am really tired and longing to be back in my own home and kitchen and bed...relaxing watching TV, going to work every morning, market shopping and eating out on weekends...this trip has been the most amazing experience of my life. While life is a journey, taking in so many new experiences in a short time (and the hard way), is what makes it so special to me! May my journey continue for a long time. Peace on earth!

Ok, I am in Acapulco - Mexico´s most famous beach and party city.

I know ...I know... Acapulco´s best days are long gone but as it was sort of on my way from the south coast of Oaxaca state to Mexico City, I thought I´d check in to see for myself. The beaches and water surprisingly clean for this big city and I´d say Acapulco is more impressive than I expected.

I´m really here to see the Clavadistas of La Quebrada...these are fearless divers who plunge 136 feet into the crashing Pacific below, landing in a 9 1/2 foot deep inlet. They perform 5 times daily....3 of which is at night when they dive with torches. It has been since the 1940's one of Mexico's famous attractions.

Updated 24 hours later
Last night I attended 3 shows by the Clavadistas (cliff-divers) of La Quebrada. Now that was truly a good enough reason to visit Acapulco. Not only do these guys dive down the 136 feet high cliffs, but before doing so I climbed down about 50 feet, swim across the narrow channel of splashing sea water, and then climb the sheer cliffs of 136 feet...and then they dive down. The final show was accompanied by much fire and smoke. The set alight a "wall of newspapers" arranged against the opposite cliff after they turned off all the spray lights, and then dive as the fire lit up the skies to reveal their bodies traveling down into the water. The final diver held torches in his hands which offered a spectacular effect as he travels down the 136 feet and slips into the water below. The guys sure know how to dive!

Site Feed Top Travel Blogs Blog Directory & Search engine