Thursday, April 27, 2006

Lake Atitlan, GUATEMALA

SCROLL DOWN TO PREVIOUS POSTINGS AND SEE SOME PICTURES

I´m staying in the Mayan village of San Pedro de Atitlan (see map) right on the shores of this magnificent lake, surrounded by three spectacular volcanoes - Toliman, Atitlan, and San Pedro.

Spent most of yesterday at the nearby village of Santiago de Atitlan (35 minutes by boat) . As it was market day, the village was bustling with activity - buyers and sellers, onlookers and me, capturing as many images as I possibly could but trying not to interfere with these people´s activities. Very colourful indeed as these Mayan villagers are all wearing the same clothes to distinguish them from the other villages. I´d say about 99% of women and 40% of men are wearing their village clothes. Especially on market days, only the cleanest and newest village clothes are worn. Its a bit of a ¨show-off¨ day for these people. I find the people incredibly friendly, and even though my camera is often intruding, they still smile and greet me back with a friendly ¨buenos dias¨. Kids, as everywhere, are very intrigued with my camera and I´m more than willing to take pics and show them their own images, which is usually followed by a big smile!

The villagers living around the lake mostly speak their own indigenous languages including Quiche, kakchiquel and Tz´utujil). Spanish is not widely spoken.

Bought half a ton of ripe mangoes...which reminds me....I better go eat them! Also bought an embroidered cloth from an old lady with three prominent teeth, and a very wrinkled face. I really only bought it to make her day....and, with her permission, took a few great pics. What a face...it tells a lifetime of stories by just looking at her.

Did I say I love this place and its people.....its an awesome experience to be here. With my nice room, hammock outside, lawn garden, overlooking the lake from far above on a cliff...for only US$2.4 per night - I could stay here for a long time. A big chicken dinner at US$4....what more do you want!

Adios from Lago Atitlan - Guatemala.

Site Feed Top Travel Blogs Blog Directory & Search engine