Friday, October 28, 2005

Zipolite, Oxaca Pacific Coast, MEXICO

Life can not come in a more beautiful setting than where I am right now. Welcome to Zipolite, on the southern Pacific coast of the Mexican state of Oaxaca. See someones pictures here.

Yesterday I was on my way to the bus station in Oaxaca City to catch the 5-hour bus ride back to Mexico City when I decided to make a sharp left and divert myself to the exotic Pacific coast of the Oaxaca State. I hopped into a Chevy "collectivo" van and embarked on the 6-hour journey through the rugged Sierra Madre del Sur mountains. These mountains, 6,000–12,000 feet high, with deep, steep-sided canyons, have long been a barrier to east-west travel. The road we took yesterday afternoon (and into the evening), must have been originally built about 70 years ago and is one of the 10 most scary and dangerous mountain roads I have ever experienced. While cold and thick fog greeted us in the high peaks, the valleys were warm and tropical. By the time we reached the coast, it was hot and very humid.

Life here in the beach town of Zipolite, this time of the year (off-off-season) is laidback with a few local Mexican guys riding the treacherous waves and battling the strong undertow. The wide sandy beaches are sparsely dotted with topless Caucasian women and some people take in the sun au naturel....as unconditionally - everything goes on Zipolite Beach.

I am staying at Gloria's Shambhala (more pics) perched on the rocks in the western end of the beach. A view of Shambhala from beach and view over the beach from my room. Rooms are totally open in the front and from sleeping under my mosquito net I can only hear the thunder of the waves.

Eat your heart out from your office desk. THIS is my life :)) In three days I´m taking the winding road along the coast to Acapulco, then Mexico City and then Hawaii.

Site Feed Top Travel Blogs Blog Directory & Search engine