Monday, July 09, 2007

Riga, LATVIA

A long trip from Minsk, Belarus through Vilnius, Lithuania...but I am safely in Riga, Latvia. The weather...another cloudy, cool and somewhat rainy day (5 days in a row now here in north Eastern Europe). Locals are wearing jackets and scarfs...and its the middle of summer! Thanks goodness I don't live here.

So far I have been to a few towns around Riga (up to 100 km away from Riga) and I've been quite impressed. Lovely landscapes, majestic castles, palaces, and fortresses. Being in the middle of summer (though its really cool and often windy), the forests and parks are bright green - you need to wear your shades man!! Every town has its old center and they all compete on which is the prettiest. By the way, in the Baltic States people always ask: "Which do you prefer: Tallinn (Estonia), Riga (Latvia), or Vilnius (Lithuania)" ...well, I've been to all three and here's my ranking: 1) Riga 2) Tallinn 3) Vilnius. Riga is among my top worldwide old cities! When you walk around the old part of Riga, its like you're alive in a children's story book - you know those with the little fairy tale towns, and princesses, princes, white horses, elves...oh what am I saying - I don't like fairy tales! Gimme wild Africa.

Tomorrow I'm done with the fairy tale towns of Eastern Europe. While it has been a great journey, I have never been a great fan of European civilizations. So, tomorrow night just before midnight I'm flying Baltic Air from Riga to Baku (Azerbaijan) next to the Caspian Sea, north of Iraq and Iran (arrival time: 03h40). After a few days around Azerbaijan (where I'll have to speak Russian and Turkish again ;-), I'm heading west towards the Black Sea to Georgia and then down to Armenia. The next few days will again test my endurance. Till later.

Site Feed Top Travel Blogs Blog Directory & Search engine